We all have those days every so often that you just feel down
and a bit blah, whether it’s through lack of sleep, stress at work or it’s just
a bad day. Here are my 10 tips to pick yourself back up again:
1. Drink a cold bottle of water. It sounds super basic but just rehydrating your body can really help to get you back on your feet again.
2. Take your makeup off and do a face mask. Some real pamper time is going to do you the world of good. If you’ve got time why not throw in a Mani and Pedi?
3. Get out of the house. Even if it’s just running errands or a short walk around the block, anything that gets you out of the house and into new environments is bound to clear your head.
4. Get something to eat. Whether it is comfort food or just a snack, making time for yourself and making sure you eat will really help to make you feel better.
5. Take a hot bath or shower. My favourite thing to do lately is to take a super-hot shower and stand under the water and just think. I find a shower is such a pick-me-up and cheers me up no end.
6. Sit down and write out your thoughts. This goes both ways, you could do this when you feel down to note down what is making you feel sad and then look at how you can make yourself feel better.
7. Take a nap. Like a really long nap then brush your teeth, get a glass of cold water and relax. This may feel like a waste of time but believe me sometimes it is the only thing that works.
8. Plan for the future. Sit down and write out 5 short-term and long-term goals and then break down how you plan to achieve them. This will help to distract you but it also gives you something to aim for and motivate you.
9. Read a good book. Nothing beats curling up on the sofa in your comfy clothes and reading a good paperback book, especially with a hot drink and a snack beside you. Go on you know you want to,
10. Call a friend. you don’t even need to explain that you are having a bad day, just give them a call to catch up, I can guarantee it will put a smile on your face, and, if you’re anything like me, who can’t stay still while on the phone, it will also help to get you active.
I know all of these recommendations are cliché and can be found
all over the internet, but they are what really work for me. What do you do
when you are having a bad day to cheer yourself up?
Mental Health Awareness Week runs from Monday 08th May – Sunday 14th 2017. Check back throughout the week to hear how I handle some of my worst days, pamper the stress away and coming up this week I have a guest post on Keighley’s story of Post Natal Depression.
Whatever happens, just know that there are always people out there that will help you, whether that is myself or charities such as: